Monday, August 12, 2013

Usain Bolt Celebrates Victory Again in Moscow, Russia

 

Freshly minted 100m World champion Usain Bolt is delighted to have regained the title he lost two years ago, but admitted disappointment at not testing his own 9.58-second world record in the 100m final at the IAAF World Championships in Athletics inside the Luzhniki Stadium yesterday.
"Overall, it was good. I can't complain; it was a good run," Bolt said before noting that soreness in his legs from the previous round changed his priority to simply winning the gold medal without injuring himself. Read More.....

He said "I thought about it. I wanted to come here and run as fast as possible, but after the semi-final, my legs felt a little sore. But for me, it was better to be safe than sorry, so I came just to execute and win and that's what I did." 
Bolt, who won in a season's best 9.77 seconds ahead of American Justin Gatlin, 9.85, and Nesta Carter, 9.95, does not believe his win was easy, but said he was always confident of victory.
"I never look at things as being easy," he said. "I work hard. I put in the hard work and that's why I am a champion. I push myself through pain and that's why I am a champion."
Bolt has now won eight medals at the IAAF World Championships - six gold and two silver medals - joining Michael Johnson (eight gold medals) as the second most successful male medal winner at the games behind Carl Lewis (eight gold; one silver; one bronze), who has 10.
Bolt also took time out to thank the Jamaican fans who have descended on Moscow to support the team, pointing out that he is not surprised by the less-than-impressive crowds that have so far turned up at the stadium.
"I can't say I was surprised (by poor crowds). I don't know how big track and field is in Russia, but I give thanks to the people that come out and give support," Bolt said.
"There were a lot of Jamaicans in the stands, which I really appreciate and I thank them for coming out to support us. Not every country is going to be big on track and field. It's my duty and (that of) every other athlete to go out and compete at our best so that next time, we will see a full stadium," Bolt added. Congratulations on your victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment